Monday, January 20, 2014

Improvised Star Trek is Not a Podcast About Star Trek



If you know me then you probably know that I'm part of a podcast, the Improvised Star Trek.

When I tell most people about Improvised Star Trek, they say something like "Oh that's cool. I'm not really into Star Trek." This is how some people say "I'm not interested in listening to your podcast because I am unfamiliar with, and lack a passion for the subject material."

And lacking passion for Star Trek, or improv is totally cool! I lack passion for lots of things! Like football! And place settings! And military intervention in the affairs of foreign countries!

We don't all need to like the same things is what I'm saying.

If you have been hesitant to listen to the Improvised Star Trek after I excitedly describe it to you at a party, I'd like to give you just a little information here that will MAYBE persuade you to give the podcast a chance.

Here are some facts:

1. Most Star Trek podcasts are about Star Trek. They usually feature fans of the show sitting around and talking about Star Trek. They talk about individual episodes, themes, and characters from the shows and movies. Improvised Star Trek is not a podcast about Star Trek. It is not a talk show. Improvised Star Trek is a completely original show that takes place within the world of Star Trek. We create a new narrative adventure each week featuring original characters and situations. If you are a fan of Star Trek, there are lots of Star Trekky things for you on the podcast. If you have never watched a single episode of Star Trek and can't tell a targ from a tribble, there is plenty for you to enjoy on the Improvised Star Trek including great characters, funny situations, and compelling storylines. Improvised Star Trek is a show about characters who happen to live in a Star Trek world, but it is not about Star Trek.

2. I am more proud of Improvised Star Trek than I am of anything else I have ever had a hand in creating. I have played with comedy groups at world-renowned theaters. I have had groups I've been on listed in "best of" lists of major magazines. I've played with people who are now famous, successful comedians. I think that Improvised Star Trek is the best thing I've ever helped to make. I think it's really easy to write off a show with the name of a pop culture property in it as a gimmick. IST is not a gimmicky show. We put a ton of work into creating something that is driven by the relationships between the characters we create. We try to stay true to high-minded improv principles like "truth in comedy" and "playing to the top of your intelligence" as much as possible. I really think we are one of the hardest working, smartest improv groups out there. IST is art just as much as any other improv or comedy show out there.

3. If you don't like improv (and I know there are people out there who don't), you might still want to give the show a chance. Generally, people don't like improv because it can be sloppy, and bad improv groups tend to miss more than they hit when it comes to doing great shows. We are not a bad improv group, and our hit rate is really high, but I'm going to let you in on a secret of the show: you will never hear the bad episodes we record. In fact, you will never even hear the mediocre ones. Why? Because the show is a podcast and not a stage show, we record many more shows than we release. If a show just doesn't work, it never airs. You will never hear it. We only put up a new episode if it turned out great. And on the sloppiness front, we have a team of incredible editors who add music, sound effects, and other elements that gives the show a professional feel. So, if you aren't a fan of improv, I'd still encourage you to give the show a try, because you may find that we have addressed some of the main criticisms that people make of the art form.


So, if I have managed to sway you, check out http://www.theimprovisedstartrek.com, or look for us on itunes, stitcher, and other popular podcast platforms.


No comments:

Post a Comment