Wednesday, April 20, 2011

To Boldly Go: Adventures in Trekspace

In case I haven't mentioned it, Improvised Star Trek has arisen from the ashes, taken the form of podcasts, and is now available for download here.  Please feel free to download, listen and write glowing reviews.

As with any new ...podcast...thing...we've been working hard to promote the show.  We've gone through some of the more well known advertising methods- setting up a Facebook fan page, tweeting, telling people that our show is great, press releases, a launch party, etc. But, as a cast, we also did one relatively unique thing to get the word out about Improvised Star Trek- we all joined TrekSpace.

TrekSpace is exactly what it sounds like- a social networking site for people who love Star Trek.  As people who love Star Trek are our target audience, this seemed like a good place to go to drum up downloads.  So, each cast member of Improvised Star Trek has created a page for their character.  Here's the page I set up for Crick Watson.

Here are some thoughts, and general observations about TrekSpace:

1.  I assumed that creating a page for a character and not a real person would be a relatively unique thing.  I was wrong.  I am friends with, amongst other made up Star Trek people, the empress of the planet Vulcan.

2.  I am also friends with several starships.

3.  Sometimes I get invited to Star Trek related events! Cool!

4.  One of those events was a birthday party for a starship.  I wonder if it would take place at the Utopia Planitia Shipyards?

5.  Remember poking on Facebook? The TrekSpace equivalent of poking is giving ribbons.  I have no idea what ribbons have to do with Star Trek.

6. I know this is going to sound weird, but it's really comforting to see that there are still so many people in the world who are passionate about Star Trek- not just the new movie, but OLD Star Trek.  I miss Captain Picard, and Deep Space 9, and hating Voyager, and it's nice to know that there's a whole social network filled with people who feel the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment