Friday, April 15, 2011

Consider my Girl-Nerd Feathers Ruffled!

As readers of this blog are well aware, I am over-the-moon excited about the HBO Television series adaptation Game of Thrones, the first book of one of my favorite fantasy series of all time, Song of Ice and Fire by one George R.R. Martin.  The series is very adult, imaginative, unique and lush with color, description and in-depth characters.

So when I read the faux-feminist drivel review of Ginia Bellafante in the New York Times, I was furious. She basically says that the HBO series is boy fiction with sex scenes thrown in for the ladies.  It's very obvious she didn't bother to talk to any girl fans of the series to ascertain what it is about the book (and hopefully translated into the HBO series) that we're all a squeeeee about.  Heck, she could have even just used Google to find out that the sex is a very VERY small part of why we like this series.

This young lady's blog pretty much sums up my feelings on Madame Bellafante's review.  And sure, Bellafante didn't like the series which though incomprehensible to me, is totally fair. It's not for everyone.  But to say that the reason I'm having a few people over to partake in some Westeros-inspired grub and to watch the first episode is because of the sex is royally insulting.

Frak you and your gross generalizations, Ginia Bellafante. Frak you!

1 comment:

  1. It's pretty clear to me that Ginia Bellafante has never read the GoT or any of the other books. I would like to poop in her trashcan.

    ReplyDelete