Monday, November 1, 2010

Vote for Cyclops


Tomorrow is election day in the good ol' US of A, and as I tend to get excited for voting in the way most people get excited about watching the Superbowl, or going to Disney World, I spent a good portion of today looking over candidate profiles and propositions.

Now, there's a big Senate election, and a big gubernatorial election here in the Land of Lincoln this year, but as I looked down ballot, I noticed that there's also a race for State Treasurer.

I got the surprise of my life when I noticed that Scott Summers, Cyclops himself, the leader of the X-Men, is the Green Party Candidate for this lofty position.

In thinking about whether to vote for a Democrat, a Republican, or Cyclops, I started to think about his strengths and weaknesses as a candidate.

He has a ton of experience. He was the leader of the X-Men since he was 16, and has saved the world countless times from Sentinels, Magneto, cosmic space monsters, and many other possible catastrophes.

On the other hand, he isn't much of a family man having sent his son into the future to be raised by cyborg mutant nuns, and leaving his wife for this woman:

Emma Frost, formerly of the villainous Hellfire Club.

And he sanctioned the Black Ops team X-Force to take out the enemies of mutantkind with lethal force. Oh, and how can we forget all of the terrorists he's harboring on the X-Men's home base in the bay of San Francisco? Magneto, Namor, Emma Frost (as previously mentioned), and many other villains are all valued members of the X-Men.

What matters is the issues, though. Where does Cyclops stand on the issues that matter most to me, the Illinois voter?

Well, I assume as an opponent of the Mutant Registration Act, Cyclops would be opposed to the Patriot Act, Guantanamo Bay, and other efforts to unjustly spy upon, or imprison anyone. Then again, as someone who has so frequently been put upon by the Federal Government, he probably wouldn't support any sort of government intervention into the lives of Americans like Obamacare, or the Stimulus Bill.

Considering this, I guess Cyclops is probably more of a Libertarian than anything else. It's surprising he's running as a member of the Green Party, though as a firm supporter of Civil Rights for mutants, robots, space aliens, and Atlanteans, he's definitely of the "socially liberal, fiscally conservative" mold.

In the end, it probably comes down to intangibles. Like, do I really want a State Treasurer with legislative experience, or do I want one who can blow a hole in the side of a mountain by opening his eyes?


Hmmmm. Well, it seems I have alot to think about before I go to the polls tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment