Friday, October 15, 2010

Nerdfails

It shames me to say that I am not the geekiest geek on the planet. Oh sure, I look the part with my glasses, and my inhaler, and I love comics, and sci-fi and what not. And I do improv- the nerdiest form of all theater, but in some nerd realms, I am sorely lacking. They are as follows:

1. Math- I am terrible at it. I had kind of a crummy foundation in that I had a bad algebra teacher my freshmen year of high school and I never really recovered from that. With that said, I'm pretty good with statistics and I've managed to figure out how to get spreadsheets to do most of my other math for me.

2. Dungeons and Dragons- I have NEVER played Dungeons and Dragons. I played Magic: the Gathering once, but I've never rolled a 16 sided dice, or referred to myself as a "Dungeonmaster."

3. Working out- I do it- alot. Specifically, I lift weights five days a week and have for the last few years. I know more about the right and wrong ways to build muscle. I also tend to eat fairly healthily, so the Mountain Dew and Dorito's stereotype doesn't really apply to me. My build is best described as "Athletic."

4. MMORPG's- Speaking of Dungeons and Dragons, I've never played an MMORPG like World of Warcraft, or Everquest. I've played tons of classic RPGs in the Final Fantasy/ Dragon Quest mold, but no MMORPG's.

5. I like sports. Well, okay, I hate football. And basketball. But I love hockey, baseball and the Olympics.

6. Apple products- I know as a nerd, I'm supposed to shun Apple stuff in that you can play cooler games and do crazy programming stuff on PC's, but I'm not that much of a programming type, so I find the simplicity of Apple interfaces to be pretty awesome.

7. I hate first person shooters. Hate them. Halo? Hate it. Call of Duty? Hate it. Doom? Hate it. If I can't see my video game guy or girl on the screen, then chances are, I won't play the game.

8. I'm not crazy about hilarious t-shirts. I know self expression via t-shirt is a big thing nowadays, but I've just never been that big on t-shirts that quote Monty Python, or declare for the world that I do what the voices in my head tell me to.

9. Oh, and speaking of Monty Python- I've never found them all that funny. Actually, as a general rule, I'm not a huge fan of British humor (noted exceptions include Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead).

4 comments:

  1. This doesn't really apply to this particular post, and you may have already seen this, but I thought of you guys when I saw the steampunk ironman: http://www.neatorama.com/2010/10/20/the-13-best-geek-halloween-costumes/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't see how liking Apple products makes someone less of a nerd. I must have missed that memo. To me, Apple products are associated with Hipsters, which are cool nerds. Or people who want to be nerdy in an effort to define their coolness. Or just cool people disguised as nerds. Whichever way you define it, I would say "cool" and "nerd" have to be in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kat- Steampunk Iron Man was awesome!

    Julie- Hipsters aren't really nerds. They're cool people who dress like nerds. And while some nerds (me) certainly like Apple, many nerds (computer programmer types) tend to frown on them. At least in my experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. JSYK, no such thing as a 16-sided dice! (At least, not that I've ever seen, and I've played various permutations of DnD and other tabletop games). There are 100-sided, 20-sided, 12-sided, 10-sided, 8-sided, 6-sided aka normal and 4-sided dice. You have learned one new nerdy thing today! Hooray!

    ReplyDelete