Friday, September 24, 2010

To Love A Ginger

In high school, I stumbled on some literature that has stayed with me, closely, every since.  I believe it all started when my adorable, 7 year-old sister, Shelby, came home chatting endlessly about the book her teacher was reading to her in school.  My mother, an avid reader, picked up the book and promptly devoured it in about 3 hours.  Shelby, totally enthralled, promptly requested that my mother continue reading where the teacher had left off earlier that day and an argument ensued about a the pronunciation of a particular character's name.  Phonetically, the teacher had been saying Her-me-own.  My mother, well-read in Greek mythology, was pronouncing it Her-my-on-eee.  I distinctly remember the screaming match that ensued and the result on the following day when Shelby related the story of correcting her teacher (most certainly as smugly as she could) on the pronunciation of the name Hermione.  I believe the teacher even called my mother to thank her.  Needless to say, I wanted to know what all the hubbub was about, so I grabbed the book and read it.

And thus my eternal love affair with the world of Harry Potter began.  I was definitely older than the target audience for the series (I started them at 16), but, nonetheless, I was enthralled with the wizarding world, Hogwarts, spells, totally creepy villains and the trio of Harry, Hermione and my absolute favorite, one Ronald "Ron" Weasley.  I've always been a sucker for the loyal best friend of the protagonist.  The Samwise Gamgees of the literary world. I told Sean, while reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, that if Ron died at any point during the novel, I would put it down and leave it unfinished forever.  And I was serious.  I am overly attached to that ginger-haired, be-freckled, wise-cracking lad.  Simply put, he's the best.

He's so the best that I was honestly apprehensive about the prospect of an actual human being cast as him when they announced that a movie would be made.  Was it possible to encapsulate Ron Weasley off the page? Would the absolute hilarity of the Ron one-liners come through?  Could I love the Ron of the screen as much as the Ron of the book?

The answer is, yes, yes I could, and I do.  

Rupert Grint not only has an awesome name, but is also a perfect Ron Weasley. Sure, he's not stick thin and tall like the Ron of the books, but he totally "gets" the character and the result is excellent. His comedic timing is just right, and he's honestly the best actor of the trio. By leaps and bounds.  Ron scenes are always my favorite.  And that, readers, is why there is one, very specific moment in the following trailer, that I'm so so very excited to see in November. You'll know it when you see it.  For your viewing pleasure, the extended trailer for Part 1 of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows:

No comments:

Post a Comment