Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Filibuster: The Adult Temper Tantrum

This blog is not meant for political discussion or current events (unless they're nerdy, amazing current events).  However, once in a while, there are issues that occur that need to be mentioned because they're important.

In this case, it is yesterday's filibuster of the "Don't ask, don't tell" policy.  It's extremely infuriating and not solely because of the defense bill it was centered on.  I believe that people loving people, regardless of either of their gender, is something that should be accepted, but in this case, that's not the point. It is all the recent filibusters that are frustrating.  I firmly believe that the purpose of government is to accomplish things.  To get things done. To speak for the people.  Filibusters are not accomplishing things. They're not getting things done.  They're an adult temper tantrum akin to a child plugging their ears and humming in order tone out what they don't want to hear.  And the saddest part of all is that it will lead to another childish behavior: tit-for-tat.  I have no doubt in my Democratic mind that come the time when Democrats hold senate majority again, the same thing will happen; the democrats will throw the same ol' temper tantrum.  And the cycle will continue. Nothing will get done, few bills will pass and those that do will be so watered down and full of random stupid crap that they will look nothing like progress.

And thus, while I truly believe that I am a child at heart, it is moments like these when I wish I was actually still a child.  Because being an adult and watching people "in charge" act like 5 year-olds is just not worth it. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to go play with my DUPLOS.

No comments:

Post a Comment